SPECIAL DENTAL CARE FOR DIABETICS
When you have diabetes, high blood sugar can take a toll on your entire body — including your teeth and gums.
- Tooth decay (cavities)
- Early gum disease (gingivitis)
- Advanced gum disease (periodontitis)
Proper dental careTo help prevent damage to your teeth and gums, take diabetes and dental care seriously: Make a commitment to managing your12 diabetes
- Monitor your blood sugar level, and follow your doctor’s instructions for keeping your blood sugar level within your target range. The better you control your blood sugar level, the less likely you are to develop gingivitis and other dental problems.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day
- Floss your teeth at least once a day
- Schedule regular dental cleanings
- Take special precautions with dental surgery
- Don’t smoke