What is a smile makeover?
A smile makeover is the process of improving the appearance of the smile through one or more cosmetic dentistry procedures.
What are the considerations to plan a smile makeover?
- A smile makeover takes into consideration your facial appearance, skin tone, hair colour, teeth (colour, width, length, shape and tooth display), gum tissue and lips to develop an ideal smile.
- Smile makeovers are performed for many reasons and customized according to one’s unique considerations.
What are the benefits of a smile makeover?
- A beautiful smile can have numerous effects on an individual’s self-confidence, self-esteem and personal relationships.
- While a smile is an extremely important attribute, a beautiful smile will make one seem more attractive.
- A great smile might make one seem more intelligent, happy, and successful.
What is the life of a smile makeover?
- Cosmetic dentistry procedures require regular oral hygiene care and may require maintenance over time. For example, teeth whitening must be repeated on occasion in order to maintain brightness.
- Porcelain veneers may chip or break off and need replacement.
- Permanent composite bonding may stain and require enhancement or replacement.
- Dental crowns typically require replacement after 10 to 15 years.
- Gummy smile improvements may also require enhancement over time.
What are the different smile makeover procedures?
Immediate smile makeover procedures:
- These procedures are done when extensive treatment is not needed and can be done in a single visit. The most common procedures that can be done are for changing the colour of stained teeth or minor repair of chips, cracks or spacing between teeth.
- Chipped, broken, or discoloured teeth may be repaired or have their appearance corrected using a procedure called composite bonding.
- Teeth are often stained from smoking, food, drink (coffee, tea or red wine) or poor oral hygiene. Bleaching the teeth can enhance the appearance of your smile.
Teeth and Gum Contouring:
- Can be done to change the appearance of a tooth by reducing the height, changing the shape of the tooth by minimal grinding without using any restorative materials.
Comprehensive Smile Makeovers:
- This requires a more elaborate treatment plan. Comprehensive smile makeovers usually require a combination of one or more cosmetic dental procedures. It is usually done in stages.
- Composite or porcelain laminates that are adhesively bonded to the surface of a tooth to correct and repair chips and cracks will improve a worn appearance or severe tooth discoloration. Veneers may also be recommended if you have gaps in your teeth or if you have not had success with teeth whitening.
- All ceramic crowns play an important role in cosmetic smile makeovers. They are an ideal option to correct crooked teeth in patients who are not willing for orthodontic treatment. The main advantage treatment is that the result is instant as compared to orthodontics which requires a treatment period of at least a year.
- Although orthodontic treatment is generally best carried out in children, adults can have orthodontic treatment too. The boom in cosmetic dentistry is prompting more adults to consider wearing braces to straighten their teeth and more and more are doing.
What are the improvements in technology for smile makeovers?
- Lasers for gum contouring
- Highly esthetic CAD/CAM zirconia crowns
- Laser sintered crowns
- Laser tooth whitening
- Self-ligating ceramic braces
- Invisalign (Or treatment with other aligners)
Enhancement of Smile
Even a perfect smile can be enhanced with tooth jewellery. Tooth jewels add a sparkle to the smile. The range includes 22 and 24k gold, 18k white gold, brilliant cut diamonds, swarowski crystals in various shapes and colours. The procedure involves bonding the jewel onto the tooth. It can be removed/changed by a dentist easily.