What is a root canal treatment?
- In simple terms, Root canal treatment is the removal of the infected soft tissue (dentin, blood vessel and nerve) from within the tooth and its replacement by an artificial inert ‘filling’ material. This procedure basically saves the tooth and eliminates dental pain. It prevents extraction of the tooth as would have been advised earlier.
When is root canal treatment advised?
- Toothache during chewing or during contact with any extreme hot or extreme cold which is usually tolerated.
- Constant tooth pain during chewing.
- Change in colour/Darkening of the tooth.
- Fracture of the tooth due to trauma.
- Swelling seen in the areas of gums around the tooth.
Is a crown necessary after root canal treatment?
- After a root canal treatment, a tooth will become brittle and will not be able to withstand the forces of biting and chewing. A crown then acts as a protective covering on the tooth and prevents any breakdown of tooth structure. So it is mandatory to crown any tooth that has been treated by root canal treatment.
How long does it take?
- Usually a sitting for RCT can take around 30 minutes. It can take form 1-3 siting to complete a RCT. At SmileSense Dental Clinic, we use the most advanced technology so you’re your RCT is completed in a minimal time. If required, RCT in upto 6 teeth can be performed in a single visit.
- Usually Local Anaesthesia is used
- Usually Local Anaesthesia is used so RCT is absolutely painless and extremely comfortable.
FOR POST TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE
Go ahead and BOOK AN APPOINTMENT today, to experience the dental treatment you always deserved.