- A denture replaces missing teeth and adjacent tissues. Unlike dental implants, a denture is removable.
Benefits of Dentures
- Prevents existing teeth from drifting into surrounding space of the missing teeth.
- Helps to chew food.
Types of Dentures
- Complete dentures or Full dentures are used when all the teeth are missing. They can either be “conventional” or “immediate”. The framework of complete dentures may be made of plastic/resin, metal or a combination.
- Implant supported overdentures are an alternate to conventional dentures whereby a full denture is placed over the dental implants with metal bar/balls that gives better retention.
- Partial dentures are used when some natural teeth remain.
- A removable partial denture usually consists of replacement teeth attached to a pink or gum-coloured plastic base, which is connected by metal clasps or precision attachments that holds the denture in place in the mouth. Precision attachments are generally more esthetic than metal clasps as they are nearly invisible.
- Immediate dentures are made in advance and can be positioned as soon as the teeth are removed. As a result, the wearer does not have to be without teeth during the healing period. However, bones and gums shrink over time, especially during the healing period following tooth removal therefore immediate dentures would usually require more adjustments to fit properly during the healing process and generally should only be considered a temporary solution until conventional dentures can be made after the healing process as it can take months for your bone and tissue to stabilize after tooth extractions.
- How long to wait after tooth extraction for dentures?
- Usually a period of 6-8 weeks of healing is recommended before dentures are made.
- Can’t it be made before 6-8 weeks of healing?
- It can be made but the fit of the denture may reduce once healing is complete. You may then have to refit the denture or get a new one done.
FOR POST TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE
Go ahead and BOOK AN APPOINTMENT today, to experience the dental treatment you always deserved.